Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Our Sick Baby Girl

Lovebug caught my nasty cold. But hers got way worse than mine.


Thursday, Coach took her to the doctor because she had a nasty sounding cough and well, you can never be too careful when it comes to your baby's health, right? Right. The doctor said it's just a cold. Saline for the nose, humidifier in the room for her breathing and wait and see what happens. It'll go away, or it could turn into bronchitis. Great.


So Lovebug and I head out of town as planned on Saturday. Other than the occasional runny nose and the cough, she was fine. Smiling, giggling, and super happy to see her grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousin!
Fast forward to Saturday night.
We get checked into our hotel room and all agree it smells a bit of smoke. Looking back now, we should have immediately asked for a new room, but Lovebug was one tired girl who needed to get to sleep. With her humidifier right next to her (yes, I brought it along), she drifted into sleep. Not a good one though.

Lovebug was up every hour or so coughing, and crying. It wasn't until 5am that things got bad. She cuh-RIED her eyes out. And I mean cried. Wailed, even. It was bad. This went on for 3 hours. Nothing consoled her. Not rocking with Mama, Grandma, or Grandpa. I gave her some Tylenol due to a low grade fever, and that didn't even help. At 8am, we called out to my sister-in-law's house to see if they had an urgent care in town to go to. No. So, off we went to the ER.
She was so upset and crying so loud and hard, that they couldn't hear her lungs very well, so off we went for a chest x-ray. Thankfully, the nurse gave her a dose of Ibuprofen before that. Within 15 minutes, she was calm and no longer crying. The x-ray came back clean, but let's just say I never want to see Lovebug in that way again. It was so scary.
So, we went and said our good-byes to Jason, Ann, and Owen and headed back to Lynamland. I headed to school to get things laid out for a sub, just in case, and it's a good thing I did. When I took her temp at 4:30, it was 101.8 YIKES!! I fuh-REAKED out, gave her some Tylenol, then got online for a sub. She laid on my chest and fell asleep for a little bit. She ate a small amount that night, then cried some more. I gave her some more Ibuprofen before bedtime.
That night, she slept in her bouncy seat with me next to her on the couch. She cried on and off all night long. Poor thing. I called immediately Monday morning and got her an appointment with our doctor... again.
Lo and behold, Lovebug has an ear infection in BOTH ears!!! Poor thing!!! Her temp was going down, but not for long. By 2pm, it was back up to 101.7. Shoot. Poor girl!! More Ibuprofen and Tylenol followed for the night. Here's what she looked like shortly after that 2pm temp check...
Luckily, sleep followed, and this is what she looked like later on...
So now, we sit here today. Today she is playing, smiling, coughing, giggling, and trying to get better. The fever has stayed away, thank God. Good, yet bad, the gunk is breaking up so she sounds HORRIBLE, but you can tell she is definitely feeling better.

1 comment:

Missy... said...

Poor little peanut! So glad she is feeling better. And so glad you had time to update the blog! Thanks to you, I'm hungry for cupcakes!!